Parallels

I woke up this morning thinking about my first miscarriage.  I arrived at the hospital believing I was having some type of endometrial hemorrhage because, well, birth control.  When they asked me if I could be pregnant, Adam and I both firmly replied "NO".  After a blood test and a couple hours of awful the doctor came and informed us that I was indeed pregnant, likely 6-8 weeks along and it looked like I was miscarrying.  I remember very vividly in that moment it was like a switch was flipped in my brain.

I can make a baby.

I always knew that we wanted kids, that my body would hopefully eventually carry a child and birth it into the world but being told that my body had done that, without planning, without warning was mind bending.

I CAN MAKE A CHILD.

So that's where the catch is and why I'm still hung up on this whole super curable cancer thing.  I have had a range of responses from people (god people say fucked up things when they don't know what to say) and I get that "I'm lucky" that this is the "easy" kind.

No doubt I'm grateful I won't have to lose my hair or endure brain surgery or any of the other unspeakables I watched my friend Judy go through.  My body did this unfathomable thing.  I know that people get cancer.  I know bodies grow it.  Other people's bodies.  Up until now this was not something my body did.  I knew in an abstract way that my body might get cancer.  Now my body has gone and done it without warning.  I feel great.  I feel strong.  I feel healthy.  I just had a baby a little over a year ago.  My body did this awful thing while I was growing a baby people!  My sweet, chubby baby grew in my body while it also grew a cancerous growth.  That's just fucking wrong.

No matter which way I slice it up I will now live with the dark cloud that it might do it again and in the same way losing that first pregnancy was an unexpected dark cloud it had a silver lining: my body can make life!  This cancer thing has flipped the whole thing on it's head: my body can make evil cancer cells.  My body can die - that shit's heavy.

My body being amazing and terrifying only I didn't know it then...well the amazing I got...

Comments

Popular Posts