Threes

They say that bad things come in threes.  I have found that this stands true in my own life for the most part and this weekend is no exception.  I was really really really looking forward to this Thanksgiving weekend.  Fall is my favourite time of year and Thanksgiving is like the best fall time.  I was ready for an extra long 4 day weekend and we had lots of great things on the schedule.  To top it all off I had a positive pregnancy test earlier in the week and we were all feeling pretty pumped about starting to gestate our newest Tuckerwoods.

Friday morning was an amazing sunshiney start.  I needed to take the kids to Henry's school for picture day so I dressed them both up and did their hair and off we went.  The photo I took of the photo taking was unbelievably cute, the 2 of them snuggled on a stool looking polished and smiley.  How blessed we are I thought, and we truly are.

After the photo we escaped school and headed on a couple errands to get ready to head up the Sauble.  Adam arrived home and we hit the road, stopping in Brampton for italian sandwich take out for our supper later and lasagna for the kids lunch.  I had a small work thing to look after in Owen Sound so we carried on.  By the time we hit rush hour in Owen Sound the kids were ready to get out and run so I dropped Adam and the kids at a park 6 km before where my appointment was.  I only needed to steam some drapes on 1 window so off I went, leaving them with wet wipes because Quinn had to pee and we weren't sure if there would be toilet paper in the park washroom.

I arrived at the appointment, started chatting to the home owner and looking after her drapes and of course, to be polite, I turned off my phone.  After the steaming was done she pulled me into another room that needed looked at and as I was waiting for them to bring me a ladder so I could adjust the hooks on the drapery I peeked at my phone and had 6 missed calls from Adam and a text that said:

 "Heading to the hospital pick up your phone"

Heart in throat, panic.  There is nothing like this folks, nothing.  I called his phone and he picked up and let me know that Quinn had accidentally hit Henry in the face with a rock and the bridge of his nose was split open and a kind lady was driving them to me at that moment.  I've never fled a clients home so fast.  I raced to the car and waited for them to arrive.  Moments later Adam called again and said they couldn't locate me so the woman dropped them up the road at the general store.  I raced there, picked them up and off to the hospital we went.

Stress stress stress.  The wet wipes came in handy for the amount of blood a head wound can pump out.  We were treated fairly quickly but in the midst of it I started to cramp and bleed.  By the time we reached the cottage I was sure I was miscarrying so I went straight to bed for the worst sleep ever.  By morning it was clear that this pregnancy was not meant to be.  Not only was I emotionally sore from crying most of the night, I was a physical mess.

Adam took the kids for a forest walk so I could lay down for an hour and upon their return Henry busted out into hives that were growing at an alarming rate and the rest of his family arrived as we hurried into town to grab Benadryl.  The pharmacist urged us to get him to the hospital based on how fast the hives were growing so off we went for our second emergency room trip in under 18 hours.  The doc at the Wiarton emerg said this can happen and we would likely never find out why or how but to dose Benadryl and keep an eye on it.  At this point I had hit capacity:

1) Henry emerg trip for nose wound
2) Miscarriage
3) Henry emerg trip for insane hives

1,2,3 ok universe, we get it.  We got back to the cottage at 3:30 and packed up our shit and headed out.  It was time to be home.  In my bed.  Wallowing in peace.  I called it, the plug needed to be pulled.

Luckily Adam's family was mucho supportive and we arrived home to an amazing meal prepared by my mom, AJ and Gary.  Gary even went out and got french baked goods from my fave place.  We are blessed.  We know how lucky we are.

This weekend, given its "threes" was still as good as it gets in a crisis and Adam and I found ourselves snuggled on the couch yesterday after my mom took the kids to Thanksgiving feeling pretty lucky despite our circumstance.  Tomorrow I will go back to work and the world will keep turning.  Henry's face will heal and our little life will keep on going.  We will feel sad about missing out on our little June baby but we will make another one and cross our fingers and toes it sticks.  Some women out there are modelling choosing hope pretty well and I've learned from them.  Keep going.  Keep getting up in the morning.  Keep choosing hope.  It's infinitely better than the alternative.  And universe, we've had our three and taken it like troopers but don't get any ideas...

Comments

Popular Posts